The Puget Museum building

Edifici del Museu Puget
This Dalt Vila mansion is home to the Puget Museum. The street was formerly a part of the main street, although it is now known as San Ciriaco, in allusion to a small  chapel dedicated to Saint Cyriacus, whose feast day coincides with the day Christian troops conquered Ibiza. The chapel is located on the passageway through which the Christians entered in 1235, after which Ibiza came to be ruled by the See of Tarragona and the Crown of Aragon.

Known locally as Can Comasema, in the 19 th century the house was owned and inhabited by the Palou de Comasema family, originally from Mallorca. This family, in turn, was linked to the Laudes, a powerful military family owning rural and urban properties on the island. Of Catalonian origin, the presence of the Laudes family in the house dates back  to the 18 th century.

Permanent collection

COl·lecció permanents
The Puget museum permanent collection was donated to the State by Narcís Puget Riquer and accepted by Royal Decree on 22 december 1982.
The collection consists of 130 pieces: 29 watercolours and 29 drawings by Narcís Puget Riquer and 42 oils and 30 drawings by his father, Narcís Puget Viñas.
The collection was received by the state in 1997, since which time it has been kept by the Ibiza and Formentera Archaeological Museum.

Narcís Puget Viñas

(Ibiza, 1874 – Sta. Eulària ,1960)
Born in Ibiza in 1874 into a well-off family; in 1895 he travelled to Barcelona to study music and photography, a subjet he would later make his profession.
In 1901 he enrolled at the Sa Llotja School of Fine Arts, where he studied under Antonio Caba. In 1906 he visited Madrid for Alfonso XIII`s wedding, a few months later taking up residence in the city to take classes from Eduardo Chicharro and study the works of Velázquez and Goya at the Prado Museum.
He married in Ibiza in 1909, in 1916 moving from the Dalt Vila to take up residence at a newly-built house on Paseo de Vara de Rey, where he installed his photography studio and his interesting and prolific academy of drawing and painting.
Although he neglected painting for a while, in 1919 a chance meeting with Sorolla, in Ibiza working on his Vision of Spain for the New York Hispanic Society, encouraged him to take up painting again.
In 1920 he travelled to Paris to study the works of the Impressionists, by whose style he was greatly impressed. In the 1920`s he began to exhibit his work to great acclaim, particulary in Palma, Madrid and Barcelona.
Although his works are rarely dated, his most recent are from 1950, when he lost his sight almost completely.He died in Santa Eulària in 1960.

Narcís Puget Riquer

(Ibiza, 1916 – Barcelona, 1983)
The son of Narcís Puget Viñas, Narcís Puget Riquer was born in Ibiza in 1916. While at secondary school he attended his father`s academy of drawing and painting. His early works show his father`s influence not only in subject matter, but also in technique, particulary in his use of oils. In 1933, encouraged by a group of teachers and students on a visit to Ibiza and with whom he became very friendly, he enrolled at the Madrid School of Ceramics, where he learned to paint in watercolours, the tecnique for which he would eventually become best known.
The Civil War delayed his return to Ibiza, but once here he gave himself over full time to his painting and to exibitions, particularly from the 1940s onwards. In the 1950 problems with his eyesight forced him to give up painting. He married in Barcelona 1959, later moving to Santa Eulària. After 12 years there he took up residence at the family home in Vara de Rey. He died suddenly in Barcelona in 1983.